*~*All Organic - All The Time*~*

Friday, October 26, 2007

Best Scary Halloween Movies

We've been loading up on scary movies to watch this month. I love this time of year! Since it's nearing Halloween, I thought I'd share some of our mainstays.



Like "It's a Wonderful Life" around Christmas, there are certain movies that simply have to be watched around Halloween. Here's our "must-see" list for after the kiddos go to bed:



Clive Barker - 2nd only to Stephen King when it comes to horror. This one is graphic and gory, but a totally original story, and fantastic makeup.


The original. I still scream through this one, no matter how many times I've seen it. Scary. Really creepy.


Stephen King - his very first. Poignant, powerful, and truly horrific. You just have to get past the 70's thing. Which, really, is sort of charming. John Travolta with feathered hair. Remember?


Cliver Barker again. The one that make him famous. With Pinhead. Fantastically original story. Really gruesome.


More Clive Barker. This one creeps me out for WEEKS afterward.


Wes Craven - an original. Will make you nervous about sleeping for a long time.


Must be the original. Black and white version. Amazing social commentary in the midst of all the horror.


Newer addition to the list, but WOW. Sometimes campy, but mostly creepy.


Classic scary. Poor Linda Blair!


Get ready for subtitles. But you HAVE to watch this one. No creepier monster has ever been made.


* * * * *

And here's a list of Halloween movies to watch with the whole family this time of year!



It's as funny as you remember it. I promise!


This is well done!



Tim Burton magic!


Totally fun story, and the witches are a riot.


Classic. Must watch.


Tim Burton again. Not as good as Nightmare, but still good.


A Ray Bradbury story. LOVE this one.


Don Knots. This is soooo funny.


Based on a Roald Dahl story. Really well done!


Very new addition, but a fanastic story, and actually really scary in places!


1 comment:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL! I was just this second saying to my husband, "I should do a list this week, maybe ten of them since it's not Thursday Thirteen, of really spooky movies I love before Halloween gets here." And then I get to your blog, and voila!

'Hellraiser' I found too stressful to watch it all the way through. Who knows - maybe I could try it again. That was over ten years ago.
'Carrie' and 'The Exorcist' - excellent! I'm sure 'Nosferatu' is, too, I just haven't seen it, yet. Strange for me, a vampire fan.

'Nightmare Before Christmas' is one of my all-time faves. Jack's Lament often goes through my head, no matter what time of year it is. And 'The Witches' is another good one. Great double Halloween list!